Monday, June 22, 2015

THE ORAL TRADITION

artwork: ralph murre


THE ORAL TRADITION
 by Jefferson Carter                         
                                                                                                   
Sometimes, in conversation,
he’ll look away & say
I don’t want to talk about it.               
I respect that.  I really do
but like some nosy Homeric hero
I can feel the words piling up
behind my teeth’s barrier:
tell me, godammit!  Tell me
everything so we can be friends!                 

I like to imagine the real        
oral tradition, the lost passages
of The Iliad, those Myrmidons                                                          
all sitting around their cook fires,
gossiping, trading recipes, even
consoling one another as they
mend the horsehair plumes,
the helmets heavy in their laps.

~ previously published in Get Serious (Chax Press)