Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Fare thee well, Ellen Kort


RE / VERSE contributors Sharon Auberle, Michael Koehler, & Ellen Kort
at the launch party for Mike's book, Red Boots

The poetic community of Wisconsin and well beyond, I suspect, is reeling at the loss this morning of a dear friend, a phenomenal teacher and inspiration, and our state's first Poet Laureate, a position she richly deserved.  Ellen Kort set the bar incredibly high for those who would follow.

Downstream

Tell me of your river, Ellen asked
when I saw her last,

and I said mine brought things
and took things away.

I'm so glad you know a river,
she smiled.

~ Ralph Murre


I'm so very proud of Ellen's friendship and glad to
have a couple of her fine poems on RE / VERSE.
When you've read those, do what you must to
find one or all of her dozen beautiful books.