Thursday, October 25, 2012

LIFE WAS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT WHEN

photo: linda back mckay


LIFE WAS NOT MUCH DIFFERENT WHEN
by Linda Back McKay

I was more of what I am, with all the sorrow.
I was what I saw in the pond and the pond

was gravely literal. It insinuated itself
into my dream. I dreamed of my grandson

as the night slid away and the sky lightened
and memory faded with the stars.

He is some of what I was in my candlelight
as he learns his colors and letters. Soon

he will examine cells under a microscope
and familiarize himself with the art of coding.

May he have what I never had. Scaffolding,
infrastructure, blueprints to navigate

a mountain range. He already knows
he will really be something. I know

shades of orange and gold and the star
above him. Now and then someone persuades

the sun to fold itself behind a muff of clouds,
despite its brilliant tendencies.

The times were not much different when
I decided to turn here instead of going there.

When his turn comes, he will pop the top
and let loose the fireflies.


~ previously published in The Next Best Thing (Nodin Press)